Monday 23 July 2007

Welcome to my meanderings...

My first blog post ever! I have resisted this particular craze for some time now, although I have enjoyed reading the blogs of several friends.

Why do I succumb to the craze now? Well, partly it is due to an increasing level of irritation with British society and a desire to rant and rave about it. That someone out there might actually be interested will be interesting to see as well. Also spurring my writing this blog is another factor – my newly arrived daughter.

At the moment she is less than six months old, yet I find myself seriously wondering what sort of world she will grow up in. I also find myself becoming increasingly dogmatic in defining what world I want her to grow up in. Frustratingly, those two paradigms are far far apart from one another.

As the weeks go by, more and more elements of my thought processes will doubtless be posted, and hopefully a cathartic experience will be obtained by posting them. I seriously doubt that all my posts will be of a uniform type – I can see general rantings about all sorts of things in the future of this blog, and possibly even the odd positive post, especially about my daughter.

So, welcome to the meanderings of a non-PC man, the meanderings of a young middle class white man living, working and raising a family in 21st century Britain. I hope the journey will be a long one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Send Boris to Australia.
We could do with someone of his ilk as Prime Minister. Unfortunately all politicians here are the same, promise everything before the election & deliver nought. If you don't like the political correctness in the UK or London don't waste your time & money on a move to Aus. It is a great country messed up by the political system we have. Find us an island to go to where we can elect a government as we would a board of directors where they have a particular function & when they fail we replace them without a huge Golden Handshake.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Barry,

What a joy to finally meet you, albeit virtually. Tales of your exploits and keen ability to twist language into something both sacred and profane have entertained me on many a dull evening. I am pleased to see that, even if you would no longer “give your life for freedom and democracy,” at least you are doing your part by blogging about the iniquitous or indifferent governments that be. I am concerned, however, that this will do nothing for your reputation as “computer boy.” Hopefully one day my husband and I will be able to cross the pond to see you.

Sincerely,
Kelly Seim